Swing dancing is quite popular here in Arizona, and for good reason! With so many variations and styles, you can swing dance to all different genres of music from Country to rock and roll, oldies and big band. Did you know that you can even dance the West Coast swing to hip hop music? It’s true! Swing dancing itself can be everything to sweet and cute (Jitterbug swing) to sultry and playful (West Coast swing), making it a must-have dance almost anywhere you go. From weddings to dance clubs, learn to swing dance and you will find yourself out on the dance floor for at least half the night.
In Tempe, AZ and surrounding cities, swing dancing classes and places to go swing dancing can be found at the local bars, resorts and dance studios. This popular, ageless and timeless dance is a wonderful workout and too much fun to not know how to do. Here are a few of our favorite places to go swing dancing and to learn to swing dance in and around Tempe for you to enjoy:
Places to Go Swing Dancing:
Graham Central Station: Graham’s is located in Tempe near the I-10 highway on Priest and Elliot. We love to go swing dancing there for several reasons.
1. They play a large variety of music from Country to oldies. (You can even find disco, hip hop, techno and salsa dancing over at Graham’s)
2. The dance floor is huge! You can go into the main room for mostly a Country dance experience, or head into one of the smaller rooms for a variety of other dance styles and music.
3. Generally, the dancers who go to Graham’s are respectful of others and can actually dance quite well. With a large age group from young to old who attend Graham’s, you never know what you might get, but everyone seems to work it out on the dance floor. You won’t find too many crazy swing dancers looking to show off, but more of the refined dancers who appreciate the large dance space and who want to have fun with it.
San Tan Flat in Queen Creek: While San Tan Flat is about 30 minutes from Tempe, they offer a very different, yet equally fulfilling dance experience. The dance floor at San Tan Flat is very tiny, round and has a large, solid pole in the middle of it. Here’s why we love San Tan Flat for swing dancing:
1. Because of the small dance floor, everyone is extra mindful of their “dance space”. Generally, you can find real cowboys shuffling along to live Country music as they circle around the pole.
2. The dance floor at San Tan Flat is outside under the stars. On a nice evening in Arizona, it is wonderful to dance in open air. What a treat!
3. San Tan is authentically “Arizona”. As mentioned above, you will find real cowboys strutting their stuff on the dance floor, swing dancing with style!
If you live in Tempe, Arizona and want to know how to Country swing dance BEFORE you try out one of these places, come check us out! We love to share the fun and excitement of the swing! Beginner swing classes are offered as well as beginner private swing dance lessons. If you do have swing dance experience, we would love to show you even more! Try out our introductory offer for just $40 to learn to swing dance today.
See upcoming blog posts on the many more places that we recommend to go swing dancing near Tempe, AZ.